This weekend was the first opportunity for me to rejoin my brethren in purple & gold, and enjoy the tailgating, so college football has officially begun. Notes from the week:
- 8:15 games are lame, made more so with long TV timeouts. I didn’t get home till 1:45 (granted, I waited out the traffic at a nearby apartment but still).
- The Big East in in trouble. No one in the Top 25, with all three marquee teams losing this weekend (WVU, Pitt, & Cincy).
- The ACC is a mystery to me. With GT losing and UNC’s troubles, hard to pick a favorite. Miami looks good, and NC State is undefeated, but the Hokies don’t have a conference loss yet and made a good statement against BC.
- As of right now, the SEC West has the teams ranked #1, #10, #12, and #15 in the AP poll. Your chaos of the season will ride on what happens there (as well as what happens when Florida plays some of those teams-starting this week when Bama is rewarded for its efforts v. the Hogs by meeting the stronger-looking Gators at home). You may begin an “S-E-C!” chant now.
- Do you think Brian Kelly & Notre Shame expected to be 1-3 right now?
- What happened to Georgia? They got creamed by Moo U. and sit firmly behind Vandy in the SEC East. Very sad.
- The Heisman race continues to intrigue. Ingram, despite missing a few games, looks solid. Robinson was out for much of the game but looks ok. Pryor handled business, and Peterson added another special teams TD. I will say that I acted very dignified when peterson scored his TD and did the Heisman pose. And by dignified, I mean jump up and down so much that I almost knocked my sister down. However, I did resist putting that picture as the lead this week (saving it for a future week, perhaps?)
- Right now, I think conference ranks are 1. SEC, 2. PAC-10, 3. Big-10, 4. Big 12, 5. MWC, 6. ACC, 7. Boise St. 8. Big East.
- This week, Idaho receives no votes in the TAC poll. In a unrelated story, the TAC poll gains nation-wide credibility (love ya, tito!)
Ok, rankings after the jump.
All 6 writers rejoined us this week. Comments from Myself, MJ, Dave, and Jay.
- Alabama (5)-Good news is that they escaped a fierce SEC West foe on the road. Bad news is that they have to do that again (LSU-and Death Valley’s a tad more hostile than Fayetteville), and get two more top ten teams at home, starting this week at Florida. However, they seem more than ready to take care of all contenders. (MD)Last Week: 1
- Ohio St.-Terrelle Pryor passes for 4 TDs, runs for a 53-yard TD scamper, and catches a pass for yet another TD, compiling a grand total of 6 in a rout of Eastern Michigan. Big Ten play starts next week against the Illinois Illini, who have historically given the Buckeyes fits.(J) Last Week:2
- Oregon (1)-when you’re averaging 58 points a game, you can afford to allow the other team to score some points(MJ) Last Week: 3
- Boise St (TIE w/ Oregon)-I am sure Boise won’t look past Nevada, but what about Toledo, who beat Purdue?(DH) Last Week:3
- TCU- The Frogs didn’t look nearly as impressive against the Mustangs of SMU as they did against the Bears of Baylor the previous weekend (J) Last Week: 5
- Nebraska (TIE w/ TCU)-What happened to the Cornhuskers’ offense in their 17-3 win over South Dakota State? (J) Last Week: 6
- Stanford-a big surprise, Notre Dame wasn’t really as bad as Stanford was good(DH) Last Week: 11
- Oklahoma-With the exception of Florida State, the Sooners can’t seem to manage to beat anyone by more than a field goal. That, coupled with Texas’ drubbing at the hands of UCLA has taken quite a bit of the lustre off of this week’s Red River Shootout. In fact, just about the ONLY thing this game has going for it is that they’re still playing it at the Cotton Bowl amidst the crowds at the State Fair of Texas and NOT at that damned boondoggle of a stadium known locally as “JerryWorld”.(J) Last Week: 7
- Florida-Not sure what it says that we’re impressed by Florida drubbing Kentucky, but with a trip to Bama, they seem to have it together at the right time w/ the defenses of Bama & LSU the next two weeks. (MD) Last Week: 10
- Utah-This team shouldn’t be underrated by anyone anymore this season (MJ) Last Week: 12
- Wisconsin-I’m not sure you can tell that much about a team from a 70-3 walloping of Austin Peay. Next up for the Badgers: the Milwaukee School for the Visually Impaired.(J) Last Week: 15
- LSU-Even w/ terrible QB play, the special teams and defense have been amazing. It’s enough to keep us in the games, but is it enough to get the wins against the big dogs of the SEC? If Lee gets the nod, the running game is stout enough to maybe do it. Last Week: 14
- Arizona-A close call in a 10-9 victory over Cal. But the Wildcats still have that victory over previous top-10 ranked Iowa, and that 41-2 victory over Toledo looks a LOT better after the Rockets’ defeat of Purdue on Saturday.(J) Last Week: 12
- Auburn-I misheard the announcer in Tiger Stadium and thought they had lost until this morning. Not sure they’re as good as the national rankings suggest, but they’re a worthy foe. Last Week: 17
- Michigan-The Wolverines looked impressive even after Denard Robinson went down with an injury. Tate Forcier showed that he’s perfectly capable of leading the Michigan offensive attack.(J) Last Week: 19
- Arkansas-Just like when he was at Michigan, Ryan Mallett folds like a cheap card table in the big game.(J). Last Week: 9
- USC (TIE w/ Arkansas)-Not sure if drubbing Washington St. shows that USC isn’t that bad or that the Cougars are really terrible. (MD) Last Week: 20
- Iowa-I still can’t believe the Hawkeyes let that Arizona game get away from them. Neither can the Hawkeyes. They took out their frustration on Ball State by beating them 45-0.(J) Last Week:18
- Miami (Fl)-They’re the best in the ACC. That counts for…something. (MD) Last Week: 21
- South Carolina-A loss to Auburn is tough, and that win against Georgia doesn’t look so great. They get a week to re-group before meeting Bama in a bout that’ll decide whether the Gamecocks were an illusion or contender. Last Week: 16
- Texas (TIE w/ SC)-I told you so. I kept ranking them in the top 10 based on reputation and ability to “reload” year in and year out, but was never sold on the Longhorns. And that 34-12 loss to the Bruins was just pathetic. The kind of pathetic that reminds people of the last time the Bruins went down to Austin in 1997 and beat the then-11th-ranked Longhorns 66-3. Look on the bright side, T-sippers: you’ve shown improvement against UCLA since your last drubbing at their hands.(J) Last Week: 8
- Nevada-Boise State could go down at the hand of Wolfpack in Reno, the day after Thanksgiving(DH) Last Week: 23
- Michigan St.-he men of Sparta are 4-0. Is it possible that they can pose a serious challenge to the upper-echelon teams of the Big Ten? I wouldn’t count them out.(J) Last Week: NR
- Penn St.-not sold on the Nittany Lions, Temple could have won on Saturday(DH) Last Week: NR
- Missouri-Quietly putting together a nice first half of the season(MJ) Last Week: NR
Others receiving votes: West Virginia, Kansas St., Texas A&M, Air Force, NC State, Houston, Oregon St., Clemson