We’re not at 2007 levels of chaos yet. True, Louisiana Tech did beat Idaho and that’s shocking. There even was some trouble in Lincoln and Madison, and the Vandals loss strikes at the core of our understanding of the college football world.
But we’re a long way from the “#1 is the spot of death” reality we had in 2007. However, it is weird. Oklahoma is #1 in the BCS, and not many believe in them (though their resume isn’t bad). Not many undefeated teams have believers other than Oregon and maybe team Cam Newton. Plenty have doubters (LSU-the hat is crazy Boise & TCU need to join a conference, and Missouri is really undefeated?). We now have a class of one-loss teams with serious title considerations (bama & Ohio St. leading the pack).
How it shakes out is anybody’s guess, but with two matchups of undefeated (LSU v. Auburn; Oklahoma v. Missouri) we hope to learn a lot this week.
What seems like a foregone conclusion though is that Boise St. & TCU may be left out. Although the trouble at the top gave more teams losses, the losses by Nevada, Oregon St., and Air Force will hurt them more than the losses by Nebraska & Ohio St. help. Good wins are precious and decide who gets to go to the title game, especially in the BCS computers.
Everyone ranked this week, so let’s get to it!
- Oregon (4) (6-0)-It’s nice to move into the top spot during a bye week (MJ). Last Week: 2
- Boise St. (2) (6-0)-I don’t believe Boise will get past Nevada (DH) Last Week: 3
- TCU (7-0)-Looking forward to seeing how college football fans contort themselves to explain how unbeaten TCU being deprived of a national championship shot is somehow not as bad as the supposed inequity of Major League Baseball.(PZ) Last Week: 5
- Oklahoma (6-0)-Considering the weak Big 12 Conference, Oklahoma is also in the driver’s seat (DH) Last Week: 6
- Auburn (7-0) – The irrestible offense force meets the immovable defense, but… (MD) Last Week: 9
- LSU (7-eaux) – The immovable offense meets the frictionless defense. I think LSU’s offense, as bad as it is, can do enough against their offense to get LSU the win. Call me a homer, but our D is scary good and running QBs don’t scare me. We’ll see if I eat crow next week. (MD) Last Week: 10
- Alabama (6-1)– If they run the table, they’re in the title game. It’s as simple as that. (PZ) Last Week: 7
- Utah (6-0) – Utah is hoping and praying that TCU stays undefeated until Nov. 6 (MJ) Last Week: 8
- Michigan St.(7-0) -Iowa is the only real challenge left on the schedule. The Spartans, however, should not look past a dangerous Northwestern team (MJ) Last Week: 11
- Wisconsin (6-1)-Those who thought Wisconsin was overrated [including me] were silenced Saturday (MJ). Last Week: 18
- Ohio St. (6-1)-The Buckeyes offense had some question marks, but what happened to the defense? (DH) Last Week: 1
- Stanford (TIE w/ Ohio St.) (5-1) – wondering when the upset wheel will strike down Oregon and give them a chance (MD). Last Week: 13
- Iowa (5-1)– Iowa will not get past Ohio State (DH) Last Week: 15
- Oklahoma St. (6-0)– The OSU passing game is a lot of fun to watch…if you’re not the defensive coordinator for the opposition (MJ) Last Week: 16
- Arizona (5-1)– A QB injury puts their run in jeopardy. (MD) Last Week: 19
- Nebraska (5-1)-The Cornhuskers failed their only true test so far (MJ) Last Week: 4
- Missouri (TIE w/ Nebraska) (6-0)– The next four weeks will show us what the Tigers are really made of (MJ) Last Week: 21
- Florida St. (6-1)– The ACC Wheel of Destiny currently turns up FSU; can they avoid the pitfalls that have befallen every other ACC team this year? (MD) Last Week: 17
- West Virginia (5-1)– People ignore this team, but forget that LSU beat them. Every win for them helps LSU’s chances of topping an non-AQ. Go Mountaineers! (MD) Last Week: NR
- South Carolina (4-2)– Kentucky is dangerous after a big win. Believe me, we know. (MD) Last Week: 12
- Arkansas (4-2) – 2 losses already make this is a disappointing season, but with Miss. St. looking better and Mallet banged up, you wonder if the wheels could fall off. (MD). Last Week: 14
- Texas (4-2) – The Longhorns have shown that while they are capable of beating anyone, they are incapable of beating everyone (MJ) Last Week: NR
- Virginia Tech (5-2) – Welcome back Hokies. With all their troubles, still undefeated in the ACC (MD)Last Week: NR
- Nevada (6-1) -Nevada looked ahead of the Rainbow Warriors and got stung, but they will regroup and defeat Boise State (DH) Last Week: 20
- Mississippi St. (5-2)– Their only losses are to the #4 & #6 teams of the BCS, and they’ve driven stakes into the hearts of Gator & Georgia fans. Kind of fun to watch (MD). Last Week: NR
Others receiving votes: Kansas St., Miami (FL), USC, San Diego St., Air Force, Hawaii, and Georgia Tech.
Dropping Out: Florida, Oregon St., Michigan, Air Force.