The alleged Marian apparitions at Medjugorje have had a sordid history. Much of it to some extent successfully glossed over or reinterpreted by the Franciscans that run the parish at Medjugorje. A document was put out by Bishop Ratko Peric, the ordinary of the Diocese of Mostar-Duvno that encompasses Medjugorje, which was translated by Richard Chonak of the Catholic Light blog, that put to record of what actually occurred in Medjugorje and how the alleged apparitions were fabricated and manipulated by dissident priests such as Tomislav Vlasic and Slavko Barbaric.
I want to briefly summarize some highlights from this translated document first, which then be followed by the translated document in full.
1. Tomislav Vlasic, in collusion with his superior, undermined the authority of the bishop by relocating himself to Medjugorje without asking permission. They waited an entire year to do so.
2. Tomislav Vlasic and Slavko Barbaric, the spiritual directors of the alleged seers, did not allow the seers to report any alleged messages from the Madonna without coming to them first so they can have their stories straight.
3. A grave theological error that the alleged apparition stated that all people in Heaven have their souls and their bodies with them. I guess Tomislav Vlasic never studied the Nicene Creed.
4. Tomislav Vlasic claimed to have visited the Pope (John Paul II) when he never did.
5. The Madonna wanted Slavko Barbaric to replace Tomislav Vlasic as the spiritual director so he could document the entire episode of the visions. Slavko Barbaric passed away in AD 2000, and the alleged apparitions continue to this day… without Slavko Barbaric. Another “vision” that never came true.
There are many more, but I just highlighted the big ones that I thought were prescient. The following is the completed translation of Bishop Ratko Peric’s documentation of the many errors of the apparitions in Medjugorje:
Just as last year, when the Holy See sanctioned the Rev. Vlasic with interdict, warning him of more severe penalties if he would not obey, once again numerous comments have appeared in the mass media to proclaim the non-connection between the “Medjugorje phenomenon” and the “Vlasic case”. If in both the letter and in reference to the two more serious penalties there is an explicit reminder of the “Medjugorje phenomenon”, in which Tomislav Vlasic in involved, why is there never any connection between the one and the other? We would like to recall just that undeniable connection, from the beginning.